Maersk launches new CLX service, optimized West Coast Latin America - NE network
Maersk announced changes to optimize its West Coast Latin America – North Europe network, including the launch of its new CLX service connecting Chile, Peru, Panama and Colombia with North Europe and enhancements to its other services, with extended coverage to/from Colombia.
Together Maersk and Hamburg Süd will manage its own network with full operational control to/from West Coast Latin America and Northern Europe. This complements Maersk’s ambition that the integration of Maersk and Hamburg Süd’s networks will provide customers with first class market coverage, attractive direct services, competitive transit times, high schedule reliability and other benefits via a combined global network.
“The changes to West Coast Latin America – North Europe network and the launch of our new CLX service are a continuation of our efforts to optimize our network and generate synergies from the acquisition of Hamburg Süd. The new network will give our customers improved connectivity, a stand-alone service with direct connections from Chile (San Antonio and San Vicente) and Colombia (Santa Marta), access to an extensive feeder network and multiple transhipment options to/from West Coast of Latin-America and Europe via Panama,” explains Lars Nielsen, Maersk Regional Managing Director, Latin America & the Caribbean.
Starting June 2019, Maersk will optimize its services and vessels operating to/from the West Coast of Latin America and North Europe to meet the needs of its customers and remain cost competitive.
The network will provide greater connectivity between Hamburg Süd and Maersk’s existing liner services in the region, which will result in better greater coverage, improvements in transit times and enhanced cargo flows to continue enabling trade for Latin American exporters and ensure consumers access to every day goods. Some notable changes include:
- Launch of the new CLX service which will provide direct coverage between Chile (San Antonio/San Vicente), Peru (Callao) & (Santa Marta / Cartagena) Colombia and North Europe – Germany (Hamburg), UK (London), Netherlands (Rotterdam), Belgium (Antwerp). It will operate with larger L-Type vessels to ensure cost optimization. The first northbound sailing of the new service is scheduled to be on June 10, 2019, with the “Luna Maersk” departing from San Antonio.
- The Costa Rica Express (CRX) service will continue, as it does today, to provide direct coverage to/from Costa Rica, Belize, Mexico & Panama and Northern Europe.
- The current Ecubex service which connects Ecuador with Northern Europe will now also call Colombia (Santa Marta) and the UK (Portsmouth).
- The CLX and Ecubex services will offer direct services from Santa Marta, Colombia, to Northern Europe.
- An extensive feeder network linking the vast majority of West Coast Latin American ports with the European ports of Antwerp, Rotterdam, London and Hamburg.
- Multiple transshipment options in Balboa, Panama, through the regional feeder network to/from Westcoast of Latin-America to Europe.
- The Caribbean, Mexico and US Gulf will be connected via the ports of Manzanillo (Panama) and Cartagena (Colombia).
A.P. Moller - Maersk is an integrated container logistics company working to connect and simplify its customers’ supply chains. As the global leader in shipping services, we operate in 130 countries and employ roughly 76,000 people. Our mission is to enable and facilitate global supply chains and provide opportunities for our customers to trade globally.